Although a Norwex gal through & throughout ( & no, I do not sell Norwex), I love having a household cleaner on hand.
Since living on my own at 18 years old, I have gone from using 409 “Antibacterial” All-Purpose Cleaner spray [ which PS was rated dirty AF on Think Dirty application – an ‘8 ] to Mrs. Meyers Multi-Surface Everyday Cleaner spray [ also rated an ‘8,’ gross ] to just simply using a Norwex EnviroCloth. Quite the transition, I know.
Honestly, my EnviroCloth deserves a post all of its own. That is just how worthy I view this particular household staple.
Anyways, rather than digress, let’s get back to my DIY All-Natural Household Cleaner. Whether you’re a spray & paper towel gal, or an E-cloth gal like myself who just likes to have a household cleaner on hand, you’re going to want to try out this recipe ASAP.
The natural scent is ultra clean, refreshing, & rejuvenating. Free from harsh & dangerous chemicals, & perfumes. Super versatile, effective, & safe. Overall, non-toxic AF.
the magical potion
⋒ 16 oz Amber Glass Spray Bottle
⋒ 8 oz white vinegar
⋒ 8 oz distilled water
⋒ 30-35 drops Thieves Oil Blend
how it works
⋒ White vinegar:
- Otherwise known as: “Acetic Acid”
- Works as a disinfectant, deodorizer, & “grease-cutter” [ totally just made that word up ].
- According to the David Suzuki Foundation [ 2019 ]: White vinegar can be used to tackle the likes of salmonella, E. coli & other “gram-negative” bacteria, as, “the acid in vinegar crosses the bacteria’s cell membrane, prompting a release of protons, which causes the cell to die.”
- PRO TIP: White vinegar found on most store shelves is a five per cent concentration of acetic acid. It kills about 80 per cent of germs. Look for stronger concentrations at eco-friendly stores that have refill stations [ David Suzuki Foundation, 2019 ]. Or, try this!
⋒ Thieves Oil Blend:
*Please note, I do not purchase exclusively from Young Living. However, I am obsessed with their Thieves blend. For those interested in purchasing this blend @ wholesale rate, please let me know. I would love to help you! [ Either comment below, or contact me here ]
- This blend is comprised of: Clove, Lemon, Cinnamon Bark, Eucalyptus, Radiata, Rosemary
- Contains highly antiviral, antiseptic, antibacterial, antifungal, & anti-infectious essential oils
- A 1997 study conducted at Weber State University demonstrated the killing power of these magical oils against airborne microorganisms.
- A 2000 study conducted by Sue Chao & Gary Young found antifungal properties for Cinnamon Bark, Lemon, Rosemary, & Eucalyptus Radiata oils.
- Clove – A 2015 study found clove EO to be not only antifungal, but also antibacterial.
- Unlike traditional toxic household cleaners, EO’s do not kill beneficial bacteria [ Essential oil expert, Kurt Schnaubelt ].
- PRO TIP: Diffuse Thieves to cleanse the air. For aromatic purposes: Diffuse up to 10 minutes 3 times daily or directly inhale.
why an amber glass bottle?
JUST KITTEN’ 😺
Essential oils are best stored in amber (or blue glass) to avoid deterioration and protect the aromatic and therapeutic properties of your essential oils.
For y’all looking for a top shelf, high quality, & beyond affordable amber &/or blue glass spray bottle [ s ], Sally’s Organics on Amazon is one of my favorites. Click here to shop. I purchased my set [ of two ] for $9.98, with free shipping as a Prime member.
*Information sourced, & not individually cited above: Essential Oils Desk Reference 8th Edition, Life Science Publishing.
If you are interested [ or in the process ] of transitioning, you simply n e e d this guide. End of story, the end. To shop, click here.